Thursday, May 8, 2014

"The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the Economy Bigger" Discussion

1. Identify a selection from this chapter that you found particularly interesting and explain why you selected it.
            I enjoyed the section of the passage in which the author describes the process of shipping goods, both before and after the development of shipping containers. I liked this part best because I've never worked in (or seen up-close) a facility which transports goods, and I was unaware of the difficult processes involved with loading, unloading, sorting, and other tasks. This section made it easier for me to understand what exactly is necessary in shipping and global transportation; this led to a better understanding of the difference that shipping containers make.

2. How does the author see the development of the shipping container contributing to globalization?
            The author describes the importance and impact of innovation, citing examples of past innovations such as railroads, steamships, and the refrigerated railcar. He then goes on to discuss how the container is similar to these innovations in that it is something we take for granted nowadays, but long ago it was a very important transition. He claims that with the container came the ability to move many objects all at once, making loading and unloading less daunting of a task. Containers also allowed a way to store goods all in one place; this helped with keeping track of many goods at one time. For example, rather than labeling each individual gear in a shipment of machinery, all of the gears could be packaged together and labeled. This would cut down on time searching for and counting up all of the gears at the unloading site. Because of these efficiencies, the author says that globalization of trading goods became overall an easier process, allowing the global market for these goods to expand.

3. Who do you see gaining and losing from this transformation of global transportation?
              The companies which buy and sell transported goods would benefit from he saved time and energy which came with the development of shipping containers. However, at the same time, there would be a significant decrease in need for workers who used to carry out the tasks that are no longer needed, such as loading and unloading many items (now it is possible to load or unload one box containing all of these items) or labeling, sorting, finding, and gathering items (which are now all kept neatly together). Although global transportation's new efficiency is expanding the global market, there are many losses where these tedious tasks used to provide jobs.

39 comments:

  1. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. shipping container

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. shipping containers for sale toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. shipping containers toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. buy shipping container toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. shipping containers toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. shipping containers for sale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for providing recent updates regarding the concern, I look forward to read more. shipping containers for sale toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. shipping container ballina

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is really great. The information here will surely be of some help to me. Thanks!. buy shipping container ballina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about.. shipping container brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog is really great. The information here will surely be of some help to me. Thanks!. shipping containers ballina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. shipping containers for sale ballina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can't afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet! shipping containers for sale ballina

    ReplyDelete
  14. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. shipping container brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot! shipping container brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post. buy shipping container brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  17. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content. cairns shipping containers

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found your this post while searching for information about blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. shipping container cairns

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. buy shipping container cairns

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! buy shipping container cairns

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. shipping containers gold coast

    ReplyDelete
  22. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. shipping containers for sale gold coast

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us. shipping container cairns

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information. shipping containers for sale gold coast

    ReplyDelete
  25. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. Thank you for your clear information. shipping containers for sale gold coast

    ReplyDelete
  26. This content is written very well. Your use of formatting when making your points makes your observations very clear and easy to understand. Thank you. shipping containers for sale cairns

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. abc containers toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.. sea container

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work.. port shipping container

    ReplyDelete
  30. It was a very good post indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it in my lunch time. Will surely come and visit this blog more often. Thanks for sharing. shipping container

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. 20ft container for sale

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.. 22 foot shipping container

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a brilliant blog! I'm very happy with the comments!.. abc container hire & sales

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work.. 23 foot shipping container

    ReplyDelete